Jan 2, 2009

The BEST Philly Cheesesteak in the City


I'm not a huge fan of philly cheesesteak to begin with, but this panini style sandwich from The Grove Fillmore makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Thick, tender strips of Niman Ranch beef, swiss cheese(?), grilled onions and mushrooms - and the bread TO DIE FOR. The portions here are pretty hefty in size. What's not to love? The venue itself is unpretentious yet hip, busy but still manages to be quaint. As if that wasn't enough, the staff are genuinely helpful and the cafe is dog friendly. We also ordered the Berkeley bowl. Don't be turned off that it comes with Ranch. The dressing is very subtle and oh so yummy.

**I highly recommend ordering food to go and chowing down at the new AMC Sundance Theater (balcony seating only).

***UPDATE***I tried the same sandwich over at the Chestnut Street location (Marina). Just as I was ordering, I noticed the chalkboard menu didn't mention use of Niman Ranch beef, but didn't think anything of it. Let's just say, they probably omitted that for a reason because the sandwich wasn't nearly as good. I guess the cafes are created equal.

No comments: