Aug 16, 2009

Being Filipino





When I was younger I always wanted to eat 'normal' food. We never really ate out. My mom and dad would always make our lunches and we brought food with us wherever we went. While other kids were eating McDonald Happy Meals, we were eating pan de leche with ube, Skyflakes instead of Ritz Crackers. When I went to college, I was overwhelmed with all the other food possibilities: Thai, Vietnamese, American, Indian, Korean. Now in my late twenties, I've come back to my roots and cook in as often as I can. Sometimes though, when I need a comforting meal, nothing tops my mother's food. She might not be good at cooking 'normal food' like spaghetti (which is just as well, because I love my spaghetti), but she can cook Filipino dishes like no other. Eating her food is such a nostalgic experience. For the last few years I've been trying to emulate her cooking technique. I have everything down, but my end product is never exactly the same as hers. I think this is what I love about cooking - each dish is individual and unique.

Today with had broiled eggplant cooked in sort of omelet. (I asked her what this dish is called - she has no idea. But ask any Filipino and they will probably know what exactly you are talking). Pork adobo with green string beans and okra. And a side of tomatoes and bagoong. SOooooo goooood... For dessert she had avocado, milk and sugar. I opted for mais-queso ice cream. Yummm

No comments: