Sep 5, 2009

At Last

I have been trying to land an internship for a while. I've walked into a number of SF bakeries but have been turned down by all of them. Apparently, no kitchen experience makes me a huge liability. Understandable..

However, with a little patience and persistence I came across a friend of a friend of a friend who just so happens to be a pastry chef at Satura Cakes. I told her my story. The next week she set me up to interview with Head Chef Seung Ho Jung. Two days later, I started my internship.

I just finished my first day and like most new things - it was exciting and refreshing. I have a new found respect for anyone that works in a kitchen. These people earn every penny. You really must have the passion for food, for people and perfection to survive - it's not easy. It's hot, hectic, chaotic.. but if you love it - the kitchen is the perfect place for you.

The day went by in a flash and at the end of my shift I felt accomplished. Looking forward to next Saturday ..

About Satura Cakes:
With help from Chef Masahito Motohashi (from the Anniversary Company in Tokyo), Hironobu Tamaki founded Satura Cakes in 2004. There are currently six locations, three in Silicon Valley (Palo Alto, Los Altos and Campbell) and three in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Sample Pictures Courtesy of e.t.


No comments: