Feb 21, 2010

Birthday Scones

That's right.. we are celebrating yet ANOTHER birthday. In the past few weeks, family and friends have been eating all of the baked goods I have been dishing out and everyone is starting to notice the weight gain. So my mom specifically, asked me to NOT make her a cake, pie or cookies for her birthday. My older brother is getting married in May and she wants to fit in her dress. Mind you my mom is a petite woman - size 0. Yes, she is as crazy as I am. But since it is her birthday, I decide to make her scones (the perfect accompanyment to her daily english breakfast ritual).

I didn't have a food processor or a pastry blade, so I used my hands. SOOOO much fun. If you decide to make this recipe with blueberries, I hope you don't mind the aftermath of purple fingernails.

Enjoy!




Lemon-Blueberry Cream Scones
Adapted from the Joy of Cooking

4 tablespoons butter, chilled
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup blueberries
1 tablespoon lemon zest

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
2. Sift dry ingredients and mix with butter with two knives, pastry blade or your hands until the mixture comes together in the size of peas
3. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in cream, lemon zest and bluberries
4. In a few swift movements combine ingredients. DO NOT work dough more than needed.
5. Pat into a 8" round cake pan. Cut into 8 or 12 pieces.
6. Place triangles onto parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments: