May 26, 2010

You've Never Heard of Red Velvet? WHAAAAA?

My Aunt and Uncle were in town from the UK this week for my older brother's wedding. We caught up on how our cousins were doing, their plans to build a house in the Philippines, and how my baking plans were going. I told them about the 150 cupcakes I need to make in about three weeks for my best friends wedding and that's when one of them blurted out, "Whots Red Velvet?".

I have to remember Red Velvet is a southern dessert. And I guess I couldn't be too shocked. Before I lived in Australia, I had never heard of Vegemite.

On the day of their departure, I stopped in Blissful Bites Bakery and ordered them a few keepsakes to bring home, including four Red Velvet cupcakes. (The owner was born and raised in Korea, then eventually made his way to San Francisco. With a passion for baking, he attended CCA and a few years later opened Blissful Bites.)



On any given day, they normally have twelve-fifteen different flavors on hand. Stop in and support local businesses.







No comments: