Mar 21, 2010

Welcome to Taipei

I'll admit it. I wasn't looking forward to the food on this trip. Why? Because I'm obviously closed-minded enough to think Taiwanese food = Chinese food. Tisk tisk. Lesson learned.

Eating out in Taipei is like dining out in any other metropolitan city in the world. Restaurants, take away joints and food carts are found on every block.

Whenever I travel, I try to eat like a local because it is usually the most cultural (not to mention cost-effective) alternative. In Taipei, you really can't go wrong with checking out crowded mom and pop shops.

Here are some of my favorite spots and dishes.

Dan Bing - Normally served for breakfast, eggs, scallions, and either, pork, cheese, chicken, ham, or bacon are wrapped in a thin pancake. I frequented the JSP across the street. 140NT or $4.40 USD will get you more than enough food to feed two people. And yes the hash browns and radish cakes also yummy local favorites. The women at this place are so friendly - you can tell they are smiling behind their masks. And don't forget to give their heavy set dog some love too.













Beef Noodle Soup (Niu Rou Mian) is another Taiwanese staple and can be found everywhere. There is a spot on the corner of San Min and Minsheng (Songshang) that had the best dan bing and niu rou mian. Restaurants almost always offered a side of fresh greens - yumm.




Beef Noodle Soup (120NT)


Pork Roll with green onions(75NT)


Some Kind of vegetable (40NT)

The only thing I didn't try was the stinky tofu. If you have ever been to Taipei, you know why.

No comments: